Friday 4 September 2020

Touch and Go

 Imagine you made a new friend over the weekend, but when you ask  to hang out a few days later, they blow you off. What does that feel like? To your brain, you might as well have been punched in the face. That's because our brains process emotional and physical pain the same way. Both kinds of pain release the same chemicals and activates the same areas. If you've ever wondered why social rejection hurts so much, this is why. Not only am I a sensitive person, I have found often people are so sensitive, I have to be careful what I say. Something that was meant as a joke, can often be taken as an insult and the written word as in a letter, can be taken the wrong way easily. I also find that writing something is more powerful than just saying something. Let me know what you think. Have you experienced the same thing?

1 comment:

  1. I have to watch my tone more often then not, when I am trying to multiple things at once I can come off cold and uncaring. I have apologized for this behavior more then I like to admit. Though I do apologize, it's not the fault of the person who received the tones fault. As I have grown I more readily to accept my faults. It's something I am trying to instill in my teenagers.

    ReplyDelete