Tuesday 4 August 2020

The Emotion of Music


 
The type of music you listen to actually helps you to view the world around you. We all know music can affect your mood. An upbeat song could make you feel on top of the world while a sad one could leave you feeling very low, but that's not all. A 2011 study looked at whether or not music could affect the way you see your environment. Subjects were asked to identify happy or sad faces while different songs played. It turns out people struggle to identify happy faces during sad songs and vice versa. The music made them see things that weren't there. They seeded something referred to as a perceptual expectation. When you hear one thing through your ears your brain will expect to see something similar through your eyes. This is why music can be used to improve a workout or help after a breakup. It sets the tone by creating that perceptual expectation.

For me, music has played a great part in my writing. When I play upbeat music, I can visualize my characters on a wild ride. This a great way to keep writing moving. No one wants to spend time reading something that drags.
When I play ominous music, I can surface some very deep and dark storytelling. One of the best ideas I have was the events that occurred thirty stories underground, in my book, 'The Cross-Breed Legend.'

What song triggers you?
How so? 

No comments:

Post a Comment